The Garden State Harmonica Club (GSHC) is a organization in the state of New Jersey since 1971. Its mission is to cultivate, develop, improve, foster, promote, preserve, and advance harmonica playing and appreciation. The GSHC seeks to preserve the rich and colorful history of the harmonica, while advancing the acceptance that it is the most played musical instrument around the world.
- Organizes bi-monthly meetings to gather, jam, and share knowledge
- Sponsors an annual dinner, attended each year by harmonica enthusiasts
- Publishes a quarterly magazine, The REED, for its members, with famous player interviews, historical articles, recording reviews, with advertising by makers and sellers of harmonicas and related products.
The GSHC wants to inform everyone about the rich heritage of harmonica music, the many talented musicians currently playing diverse styles of music with this phenomenal instrument, and the great pleasure to be derived from learning to play the harmonica.
Who are The GSHC members?
Our members, who hail from all over the state, span the full spectrum of ability from newly-minted beginners to world-renowned players. Members play all styles of music and types of harmonicas. Among the membership are individuals and entire families, as well as people of all ages and from all walks of life. Many members have played or do play the harmonica professionally. Their music styles include Country, Jazz, Blues, Popular, Celtic, Classical, Gospel, Rock and others, and can be enjoyed in recordings, live performances, or on the internet. The GSHC also welcomes many members who just like to listen to harmonica music.
Why should you join The GSHC?
The GSHC is the state's pre-eminent organization focused on preserving and advancing the harmonica in all of its wonderful variations.
In addition to knowing that we are helping preserve and advance the harmonica for fellow performers and enthusiasts, and that we are encouraging young people to pick-up the instrument, The GSHC members receive a quarterly issue of The GSHC Magazine, The REED. Individual and family memberships are available.
What does The GSHC do?
- Performs as an Ensemble who is dedicated to musical programs tailored to varied venues, with a special focus on senior clubs and centers, in and outpatient facilities, schools and places of worship
- Publishes The REED, a quarterly magazine with harmonica news from around the world including seminar and convention listings, articles on playing techniques, repairs, famous harmonica players and groups, and information on recently-released recordings and harmonica products
- Sponsors an annual dinner in New Jersey
- Encourages young people to play the harmonica
- Recognizes and honors those who preserve and advance the harmonica
- Maintains the www.gardenstateharmonicaclub.org website to support its objectives, its membership of players, vendors and sponsors, and to support harmonica musicians and vendors throughout the community
- Promotes playing the harmonica for fun and for health
- Distributes information from our members about harmonicas, harmonica playing, harmonica workshops and other events
- Provides opportunities for its members to publish articles for our membership, to teach and share harmonica knowledge and skills by presenting at meetings, and to get involved with the administration of The GSHC
The Garden State Harmonica Club gathers twice a month at 7:00 pm on the 1st & 3rd Monday of each month at The Community Church of Glen Rock, 354 Rock Road, Glen Rock, NJ.
We welcome both listeners and players at all levels. Join us for a good time; we look forward to hearing from you!